Friday, December 12, 2014

Power to the Blogging Mommas

     I now have a newfound respect for Blogging Mommas. I have been SUCH a slack blogger since the birth of my princess. Partially because I don't have time to put on deodorant, much less collect my thoughts and organize them into something remotely sensible...but also because I've just been soaking it all in.

     Being a mom isn't as full of surprises as I thought it would be. Probably because I've been preparing for this journey for so long. Probably because I watched my mom do it for my entire life...with her 6 kids and many other kids from around the school, church, neighborhood, etc. Probably because I got to get a tiny taste helping my friend in high school. Probably because I got a bigger taste helping Cierra with Addison (I was with her EVERY second I could spare).

     But...there DEFINITELY have been some challenges. After all, with other people's kids I could pick and choose what I wanted to be a part of. With mine...I get the good, the bad, the ugly, the nasty, THE DISGUSTING! Namely, stuff like this:


I have learned much in the last 12 weeks. I will list them here for your entertainment.

1. Mothers in Third-World-Countries are MY HEROES. I have NO idea how they do motherhood without the comforts of the modern world. No. Idea.

2. Nursing, while EXTREMELY beneficial, is hard. It hurts. I don't feel the magic.

3. I can do MANY day-to-day tasks with one hand...or no hands. Look Ma! ;)

4. I can do MANY day-to-day tasks in a fraction of the time it once took me.

5. Mom-cuts are no joke. They're necessary...for my survival. Little fingers are hard to untangle from hair.

6. I can run on waaaaaay less sleep than I ever have before. It's a sleepless-Christmas-Eve around here on the daily. Minus the anticipation.

7. I am doing EXCELLENT to shower and apply mascara. If I can get dinner on the table too...A++.

8. THANK GOD my Momma lives across the street. HOW did she do it alone???

9. I HEART DATE NIGHTS...like more than I did when actually dating.

10. My man is a natural. I mean NAT-UR-AL. How would I survive without him?

11. All I want for Christmas is comfy PJ's...that look decent. (And permission to wear them on date nights.)

12. Sooooo glad my baby has been sleeping in her OWN room/crib since birth. My room is MY happy place.

13. I. Can. Fit. In. A. Crib. And I do....for every 2:00am feeding. Legit.

14. Babies are good actors. I can tell a fake cry from a mile away.

15. Babies DO talk...by crying. There are different cries for every need. (My husband learned this one too...when he told my INFANT to use her words...at 4 weeks.)

16. Baby rolls are cute. The "tater ridges" inside them ARE NOT.

17. My child doesn't have tons of hair but it still needs brushing. I have CUT out SEVEN knots already. Yes, CUT my infant's hair!

18. I'm convinced, babies need as much (if not more) hygiene maintenance as middle schoolers. Poop. Pee. Spit-up. Milk. Tater Ridges. These things definitely redefine the dreaded B.O.

19. There's no such thing as "sweet poo". There just isn't.

Which brings me to my FAVORITE lesson....drumroll please....

20. IF your child has been 7 days without a poo, and you begin to see the red-eyebrow-strain...go ahead and get them naked, down to a diaper. 'Cause that junk is going EEEEEE'RRRRYYWHERE!!!

Which goes hand-in-hand with...

21. I can change a diaper with baby face down. With great privilege, comes great responsibility. :)


     In light of my new-found knowledge...I would just like to say: if you're a momma who finds the time to blog, power to ya! In fact, if you're a momma who finds the time to do anything BUT be a momma, power to YOU!

     Better yet, power to ALL the mommas, near and far! My hat is off to you!!!


1 comment: